Monday, September 5, 2011

The best of #comicbookbible





Something magical happened on twitter yesterday. A bloke named itsThat_0ne_guy started a twitter hashtag called #comicbookbible that was, essentially, taking a bible quotation then replacing a bible character's name with a comic book character's name, though it did evolve to not be just comic book characters, and to in some cases plant the comic characters into bible stories. It didn't become a Trending Topic or anything, none in my twitter circle are big enough to make it so, but for for a few glorious hours, it was very, very good. You can search the tag yourself, but it deletes older ones from the tag search after a week or so. This will preserve some of the best. I'll link to twitter accounts and all tweets involved, and group by user name. I'll only post my own if they were retweeted by multiple users, to avoid ego tripping. I highly suggest you ReTweet and Favourite any of these tweets you enjoy, to keep the hashtag going and such. Let's go!

@itsThat_0ne_guy: And on the first day Wonder woman created the heavens and the earth and it was good. [The one that started it all]

Deadpool took a rock into his sling and with it struck the mighty Goliath down with one blow. [Works on at least 2 levels, as there are a few Marvel characters named Goliath too]

Beware the false prophet who speaks Electrocutioner's name without being called upon by Electrocutioner.

Human bomb sacrificed himself to destroy the adulterous abomination that was Gomorrah & to remind humanity of his greatness.

Although I walk through the valley of Megatron, I shall fear no decepticon for Optimus Prime is with me.

@FireLeopard: Jesus ascended into the heavens...to join the Justice League. #comicbookbible

Beware of the demon Mystique, for she is wily and takes many forms.

Let all creation rejoice before Galactus for he comes, he comes to judge the earth. And he judges it tasty.

What he did was wicked in the Dr. Doom’s sight; so the Dr. Doom put him to death also.
Genesis 38:10 [This guy cited several of his scriptural sources, something I wish I did]

Be strong, do not fear; Wolverine will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will save you. #ComicBookBible

Thor is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.


HULK DO ALL THINGS THROUGH GAMMA RADIATION! IT MAKE HULK STRONG! Philippians 4:13


Seek first the Kingdom of Dr. Doom, and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33


Heaven and earth will pass away, but Apocalypse will never pass away. -Mark 13:31


The light of the Green lantern shines brightly, but the lamp of the Yellow Lantern is quickly snuffed out -Proverbs 13:9


@0100110010110
[this guy added another dimension by specifically adding some christian twitter handles to some tweets. He's also how I found the tag.] RT But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Cobra Commander’s gift.

And every voice shall proclaim, BRUCE BANNER is HULK!


RT And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of Batman shall be saved.

RT “Do not be afraid, I am your shield, your very great reward.” -Captain America #comicbookbible

@benfromcanada [that's me!] Superman died for our sins!

Then Jonah was cast into the sea. Luckily, Aquaman saved him from a big fish that wanted to eat him.

For Magneto so loved the world that he killed his only begotten son, Quicksilver.

"The wages of sin is death."-The Punisher

"Though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the Man Without Fear."-Daredevil

"In brightest day, in blackest night, I am the way, the truth, the light." - Green Jesus


Crom, why have you forsaken me? [My excuse for using the Conan tag here]

The fool says in his heart "there is no Batman"

Iron Man: "More Jesus blood over here!"
Jesus: "Tony, you're drunk."
IM: "There's a demon in the bottle! Cast him out!"
[referencing the famous Demon In A Bottle storyline, of course]

@johnenormal: Thou shalt wear thy underpants on the outside of thy Lycra body suit. #comicbookbible [probably the only literal usage of the tag]

@gmpaylo: Archie begat Jughead. Jughead begat Betty. And Betty begat Veronica. And Veronica begat Moose And Moose begat Miss Beasley..

And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Lara: for thou shalt conceive, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name Kel-El.#ComicBookBible

@kellhus2: And they came unto Sodom, that is called Sin City

@WhiteAsNoise: And realizing their new found strength the mutated turtles climbed out from the depths of the sewers.

After lois lane discovered the source of superman's power was in his hair she shaved it off while he was sleeping

@evetheatheist
: As the Lasso of Truth doth adorn her, Wonder Woman shall flyeth into evil upon her invisible jet.

Verily, Spiderman's webs, yea tho silky & strong, shalt'nt b woven as thine underwear. Leaveth thine waxing 2 Brazilians.


@myside_yourside: Then the Lord asked Cable: "Where is your clone, Stryfe?" He answered: "I do not know. Am I my clone's keeper?"

"...and whoever doth not take up the clown makeup and follow after me is not worthy of me" Joker 10:40 #ComicBookBible

"An evil unfaithful generation seeks a sign, but none will be given except the sign of Joker" Harley 16:4

@sean_browning
: Plastic Man looked back at Sodom and Gomorrah and turned into a pillar of salt. Actually it was more like salted licorice.

Romans 12:19 - "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord...and those shall BURN AT THE MAN-THING'S TOUCH!"

And God said to Job: "Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me." And Job answered: "Shazam!".


@JessRGGG
: "And Storm brought forth water to quench the dry land and there was much rejoicing."

And finally, @sapient_ape showed us this comic, courtesy of Ruben Bolling:



You, too, can participate in the fun! Donate a tweet or 2 to #ComicBookBible today!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for preserving my entries! -Sean_Browning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the credit. I hope people enjoy all the contributions and let #ComicBookBible live on... btw this is itsThat_0ne_guy ^______^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Classic hashtag! Thanks for including me, verily I sayeth. ;)

    ReplyDelete